Firestone Liberia has been a trusted partner of the people and country of Liberia since 1926. We make unparalleled contributions to the economic and social development of the country, leading Liberia’s private sector in employment, education, and healthcare opportunities for thousands of its citizens.
Today, Firestone Liberia LLC is a legally registered company in Liberia, a direct subsidiary of Firestone Natural Rubber Company, and an indirect subsidiary of Bridgestone Americas - part of the Bridgestone Group.
As the country’s largest private employer, we make vital contributions to the health and wellbeing of Liberian society with a strong focus on economic opportunity, education, health, human rights and critical environmental protections.
About the role
This role includes a significant strategic component, developing short- & long-term business plans and budgets, to increase productivity and lower costs, whilst optimizing the efficient use of existing company assets. Working closely with the other functional heads, the Director of Operations will support the company’s strategy to be a leading supplier of Sustainable Natural Rubber.
Key dimensions of the role
- People Leadership – manage agile teams across all operational functions. Develop continuous improvement targets and improved KPI reporting for all operational areas.
- Oversee key strategic projects including: 1) TSR manufacturing expansion, 2) RSS factory construction & commissioning, 3) renewable power and water consumption, and 4) Sustainable Natural Rubber sourcing.
- Develop a long-term sourcing strategy to identify additional smallholder farmer volumes from across Liberia. Expand the Agronomy Extension Team to enable individual smallholder farmer visits & digitally map rubber growing areas, to deliver traceable & transparent rubber that can be certified as sustainable.
- Establish short- & long-term budgets for all operational areas. Track operating costs, identify potential savings, and execute on cost saving measures. Develop & recommend strategy for capital projects related to all Operational areas.
- Support the digitization project, to improve data collection and management, providing analytics to drive strategic decision making.
- In conjunction with the Head of Health & Safety, drive a Zero Incident Mindset to minimize all work-related accidents.
Skills and experience
- Experience working within large scale agriculture settings with responsibility for both growing and processing.
- Experience in living and working in Africa.
- Large scale team management.
- Experience training and developing a team.
- Experience in implementation of processes and systems.
- Ability to work/ experience having worked in challenging environments.
- Ability to work on a remote site.
- Bachelor’s degree.
Don’t meet every single requirement? Studies have shown that women and people of colour are less likely to apply for jobs unless they meet every single qualification. At Millar Cameron, we are dedicated to supporting our Clients in building and supporting diverse and inclusive workplaces and culture, so if you’re excited about this role but your past experience doesn’t align perfectly with every qualification in the job description, we encourage you to apply anyway. You may be just the right candidate for this or other roles.
Since 2007 Millar Cameron has specialised in sourcing leadership and keyperson talent across a number of industries, including agribusiness, international development, industrial, consumer, financial and professional services, private equity, and technology, media and telecommunications. Our mission and purpose is to positively contribute to the development of Africa, and other emerging markets, through the provision of people.