The aim of their work is to increase access, coverage and utilization of quality primary health services at household level, in a culturally appropriate manner to reduce morbidity and mortality. Community health systems have a proven track record of economic, social and health impact through the thousands of jobs created for predominantly female, marginalized and young community health workers (CHWs).
Their Core Values are:
i. Respect and trust as the basis of their relationships
ii. Challenging and disrupting the status quo for impact
iii. Curios, passionate and effective in their approach
iv. Driven to support the well-being of communities
The Head of Operations & Risk, reporting to the Chief Executive Officer, will be responsible for providing strategic leadership to strengthen operations systems, processes and risk management. The incumbent will liaise with both internal and external stakeholders to drive implementation of the organization’s Operations strategy and align the same with the overall strategy.
S/he will supervise the Partnerships, Resource Mobilization and Communications Manager, Finance Associate and Human Resource & Administration Associate.
The key responsibilities for the role are:
1. Leadership & Strategy
• Build and implement the operational roadmap in alignment with the organization’s 5- year strategic plan
• Ensure effective leadership is provided in strategic planning and policy recommendations in the area of operations, taking initiative in improving and implementing operations management systems.
• Drive strategic operational initiatives, including coordination and collaboration with internal and external stakeholders, to ensure timely and accurate completion and delivery of outcomes.
• Build, develop and manage alliances and collaborations with partner organizations
• Point of contact across main operational pillars; HR, Legal, Partnerships, Finance & Audits
• Undertake strategic communication and advocacy initiatives
2. Operational Planning and Management
• Manage and develop the Operations department strategy, work plans and budget.
• Review and ensure that the operational policies and standard operating procedures are contemporary, compliant and aligned to global best practices and recommend changes as appropriate
• Develop, upgrade and maintain operational systems, processes and procedures
• Participate in the various partner meetings and support grant reporting and engagement
• Manage the procurement process, including negotiating competitive prices and documenting decisions –making processes in accordance with Organization’s regulations.
3. Risk Management
● Develop and deploy risk mitigation policies across the organization
● Identify and evaluate organizational risks and implement measures to control risks
● Ensure strong systems are in place to monitor and manage risks, building in a more centralized approach to risk management
4. Financial Management & Audit
● S/he will have fiduciary responsibility for funds and assets effectively secured and timely executed for optimum utilization by taking appropriate decisions on all operational and financial transactions, disbursements of funds, and administrative arrangements.
● Prepare and present board financial reports in conjunction with the CEO
● Design a framework that ensures internal processes and systems are compliant with in-country and US regulations, including tax
● Develop and maintain financial support document files (electronic and hard copy) in support of audit and regulatory review
● Ensure awareness of, and compliance with, internal financial policies and procedures e.g., by establishing training, monitoring, auditing and reporting systems as needed.
5. Human Capital Management
● Ensure that capacity building plans and performance management systems are in place to develop the requisite competencies in staff
● In liaison with the Human Resource & Administration Associate, plan, identify and resource appropriate and effective organizational structure and staffing requirements, as needed
● Drive a culture of coaching and mentorship to facilitate capacity building of team
● Organize, manage and motivate the operations team for effective functioning
● Connect and communicate across various work streams to stimulate a positive and engaged team spirit
● Support in preparation of contractual documents for the organization
● Ensuring legal compliance in Kenya and in the US.
The ideal candidate will meet the following Criteria:
• Minimum of ten years of experience in an international organization’s/ non-profit operations management role, preferably in the healthcare sector.
• Strong financial and accounting skills and experience with both IFRS and GAAP principles
• Demonstrable experience of leading departmental strategy, developing policy frameworks and ability to provide oversight on legal, finance, partnerships, HR and administration
• Demonstrable experience with both public and private sector stakeholder engagement
• Strong exposure to US compliance requirements i.e. IRS requirements
• Experience developing, implementing and overseeing a risk policy plan
• Strong leadership and coaching skills with the ability to motivate team members, optimize relationships and foster synergy
• Finance skills: Being a grant receiving entity, financial accounting, financial reporting, financial risk management and grant reporting are highly desirable
• Superior attention to detail: Organizational skills, planning skills, problem solving skills, analytical skills, and critical thinking
• Excellent leadership and management skills; Ability to engage at different levels within local public and private sectors.
• Strong mindset and a positive attitude to navigate the startup environment
• Startup and regional experience will be an added advantage
• Bilingual – English and French strongly prefer
• Global perspective – taking a broad view when approaching issues, using a global lens.
• Strategic alignment – ensure the operations initiatives are focused and committed to achieving a shared organizational vision
• Compliance – Ability to audit and monitor quality of outputs whilst ensuring compliance with the relevant local and US authority
• Manages conflict - handling conflict situations effectively, with a minimum of noise
• Results – oriented focus - demonstrable passion for delivering results
• Grants management - grants management supervision and reporting
• Advanced skills in budgeting, financial reporting and auditing
• Excellent knowledge of US and Kenya tax laws & regulations including policy interpretation.
• Outstanding team leadership, communication and relationship building skills, and
• Strong delivery focused approach and can-do attitude
• A collaborative style with the ability to inspire a shared mission throughout an organization, ensure continuous development and capacity building.
• A structured approach where efficiency, consistency, performance, and accountability are prevalent
Our client values the diversity of the people it hires and serves within the community. Their diversity is committed to fostering a work environment where individuals' strengths and uniqueness are recognized, appreciated, respected and responded to in ways that fully develop their potential.
Our client has a zero-tolerance approach to any harm to, or exploitation of, a vulnerable child or adult by any of our staff, partners or representatives. They are committed to preventing all undesirable behavior at work. This includes, child abuse and exploitation, sexual harassment and abuse.
To apply, please send us your CV and cover letter outlining how your skills are transferable to this role to email@example.com .
Since 2007 Millar Cameron has specialised in sourcing leadership and keyperson talent across a number of industries, including agribusiness, international development, industrial, consumer, financial and professional services, private equity, and technology, media and telecommunications. Our mission and purpose is to positively contribute to the development of Africa, and other emerging markets, through the provision of people.