MEDA (Mennonite Economic Development Associates) is an international non-profit organization founded in 1953. Its mission is to fight poverty for sustainable development through solutions based on entrepreneurship and the improvement of sustainable livelihoods for women, young women, and men.
About the role
START DATE: February 1-2024 Fixed-term contract (CDD) 2 Year
Employment contract for this position is dependent on final approval from the donor, and a tentative start date of February 1st 2024. We are recruiting in anticipation of multi-country rice development initiative that will be implemented in Senegal, Ivory Coast and Togo. The main initiative coordination office is based in Senegal.
Reports To: Managing Director
Key dimensions of the role
Planning - 25%
- Oversee farmer group formation, rice farmers access to credit, access to input suppliers, farm management services etc.
- Lead annual activity and budget planning for the rice production pillar.
- Coordinate with other consortium members to ensure consistency of the provided integrated rice value chain support.
- Facilitate engagements between rice producers and millers to ensure delivery of quality and quantitative grains to milling companies in a timely manner.
Technical Advisory - 40%
- Support rice farmers and farmer groups in production planning around cropping cycle including identifying problems and setting priorities, access to seed and planting materials, land preparation, spacing.
- Support rice farmers on soil fertility and moisture management, pest and weed control methods in regenerative rice agricultural practices.
- Support facilitation of preharvest handling and management, rice farmer sensitization of pricing agreements and rice grain quality standards.
- Identify and profile rice farmers for production support.
- Lead in the quality management of grains for delivery.
- Lead technology transfer activities to rice farmers.
- Support aggregators in rice grain mobilization and delivery.
- Ensure annual production targets of aggregators and farmers are met.
- Lead the mobilization of actors around rice production.
Data collection and reporting - 20%
- Monitor and collect data on rice farmer learning plots and other Monitor and Evaluation (M&E) indicators for learning.
- Monitor the performance of rice farmers in the production of rice.
- Lead report writing for the country under the incumbent’s charge.
Other support to Managing Director - 15%
- Serve as the primary point of contact for external inquiries.
- Provide support to the Senior Management Team in rice production best practices (farmer group/cooperative formation, technical advisory, access to technology and finance, grain quality, access to market, etc.).
- Assist in overall project management tasks, such as coordination meetings, report writing, annual activity planning, participation on relevant conferences and forums.
- Provide other support to the Managing Director as required.
Employment requirements for all staff at MEDA
Organizational Policies and Procedures
- Ensure and adhere to all MEDA management policies : financial, legal, human resources, security, and others as required.
- Prepare internal reports and other quarterly planning documents as required.
- Complete and participate in all MEDA trainings as required.
- Appreciation, understanding and commitment to MEDA's mission: creating business solutions to poverty.
- Demonstrate MEDA's core performance values: collaboration, respect, entrepreneurship and responsibility.
Image and Commitment
- Adherence to and demonstration of the image of MEDA, according to the values of MEDA.
- Compliance with the brand strategy approved by the Board of Directors.
- Promote MEDA through speeches, media appearances and the MEDA convention, as required.
- Performance of staff management and leadership functions as applicable according to MEDA policies, procedures, and values.
- Contribute to a healthy culture and work environment for staff team.
Skills and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree plus a minimum of 7 years of professional qualification in rice value chain. At least five (5) years of experience in developing and implementing project as an Agronomist in rice sector.
- Discipline / Specialization - Agronomy, Crop science Biotechnology, and any related field.
- Applicant must have relevant knowledge in Private Sector, good understanding and work experience in value chain development and agribusiness operations.
- She/he must have a strong knowledge of and experience in the rice sector.
- Strong agribusiness relationship management experience and focus with the ability to stimulate trust and confidence with clients and investors including managing various stakeholders.
- Excellent organizing, negotiation, influencing and advisory/coaching and networking skills.
- Flexible approach to take on additional responsibilities as assigned/delegated.
- Willingness to travel to all project locations.
- Excellent communication (written and oral), reporting and presentation skills.
- At least five (5) years of experience in developing and implementing projects as an Agronomist in rice; experience in larger and complex/multi-sectoral projects/programs desired.
- Proven experience in project implementation having relevant understanding of value chain development and other events for value chain stakeholders in rice.
- Result-orientation and ability to take initiatives under minimal supervision, and to reach targets.
- Good project management skills: ability to contribute to the project’s overall M&E system will be a plus.
- Understanding and appreciation of business principles, international development and MEDA’s approach of creating business solutions to poverty.
- Occasional work travel can be expected, within Senegal and/or the region (Africa).
This job description may be reviewed, revised and updated as required to meet department and/or organizational objectives.
MEDA is an equal opportunity employer and accommodations are available during all phases of the recruitment process. We ask that any applicants requiring accommodation make their needs known in advance.
Don’t meet every single requirement? Studies have shown that women and people of colour are less likely to apply for jobs unless they meet every single qualification. At Millar Cameron, we are dedicated to supporting our Clients in building and supporting diverse and inclusive workplaces and culture, so if you’re excited about this role but your past experience doesn’t align perfectly with every qualification in the job description, we encourage you to apply anyway. You may be just the right candidate for this or other roles.
Since 2007 Millar Cameron has specialised in sourcing leadership and keyperson talent across a number of industries, including agribusiness, international development, industrial, consumer, financial and professional services, private equity, and technology, media and telecommunications. Our mission and purpose is to positively contribute to the development of Africa, and other emerging markets, through the provision of people.