Poa Internet is a multiple award winning, Kenyan based Internet Service Prover at the forefront of providing internet connectivity into underserved communities throughout Africa. The business started 5 years ago in Kibera Nairobi and has seen rapid growth making it already the 4th largest ISP in Kenya. Ultimately, Poa’s goal is to facilitate internet services into every home in Africa, and as such they have developed a proprietary platform that revolutionises Internet delivery to provide reliable, pre-paid, home and public internet services at an incredibly affordable price. At the heart of Poa lies their core values, CONNECT: C reate a better world for the people we serve O pen our eyes to problems and opportunities N ever stop learning, never stop moving forward N ame it, own it, solve it E ngage with the big picture, even in the details C are about each other T ujienjoy kazini (enjoy yourself at work)
They require a strategically minded CFO who can support in the growth, support strategic planning and influence the future direction of the company.
You will be responsible for providing financial leadership and aligning business and finance strategy to grow the business.
- Take over ownership of monthly, quarterly, annual reporting cycle from CEO - KPIs, Management accounts, unit economics, comparisons to budget etc. Ensure accuracy, compliance with financial standards, reporting in timely manner etc.
- Take responsibility for all day to day financial operations of the business - treasury, payroll, FX, financial investments, procurement, tax etc
- Own annual budgeting / forecasting process. Refine 2023 budget / model. Ensure buy in to budget from management, board, shareholders
- Own audit process. Ensure correct selection of auditors, ensure audit completed successfully within time
- Build financial risk management function - revenue assurance, internal audit, financial controls etc
- Manage all day to day aspects of shareholder and creditor reporting and management. Ensure compliance with investor consents & covenants.
- Provide financial support to the operating divisions of the company - financial planning, business case analysis, performance analysis, supplier management etc
- Work with the CEO to develop (prior to the next fund-raising round) the optimal legal and capital structure for the business to support its international expansion.
- Prepare to successfully expand the company's financial operations in to other countries.
- Contribute to strategic planning
- Build and lead the finance team. Ensure talent and capacity to support the company's growth. Identify and hire the right talent, mentor junior employees, performance management and generally shape an effective and efficient finance department.
- Formal finance & accounting background, ideally formal accounting qualification and/or ACCA / CPA
- Proven experience on overseeing the Financial responsibilities of a business with a USD 20m CAPEX, USD 50m annual revenue, but must be able to vary approach to appropriately address Poa’s current size.
- Track record in overseeing the finance function of a regional, African business, familiar with cross border payments, multi-currency, different fiscal legislation etc.
- Proven fundraising experience is required in this role.
- Credible Investor relations track record.
- Possess strong leadership and organisational skills
- Agile and resilient enough to thrive in a dynamic, high growth environment
- Comfortable possessing the fortitude to have an opinion and demonstrate a reasoning behind it.
- High degree of intellectual and commercial acuity is also required and must be a forward thinker.
- Clear written and verbal communication skills
- Experience of working in African environment.
- Comfortable working with multicultural leadership and investment teams
- A clear desire to work in an organisation that makes a difference and is purpose led.
- Ideally have had exposure to telecommunications or a technology business
Since 2007 Millar Cameron has specialised in sourcing leadership and keyperson talent across a number of industries, including agribusiness, international development, industrial, consumer, financial and professional services, private equity, and technology, media and telecommunications. Our mission and purpose is to positively contribute to the development of Africa, and other emerging markets, through the provision of people.