Ultimately, Poa’s goal is to facilitate internet services into every home in Africa, and as such they have developed a proprietary platform that revolutionises Internet delivery to provide reliable, pre-paid, home and public internet services at an incredibly affordable price.
At the heart of Poa lies their core values, CONNECT:
C reate a better world for the people we serve
O pen our eyes to problems and opportunities
N ever stop learning, never stop moving forward
N ame it, own it, solve it
E ngage with the big picture, even in the details
C are about each other
T ujienjoy kazini (enjoy yourself at work)
Thanks to this ongoing success and further investment, Poa plans to scale its operations nationally, which will see a 10x growth over the next two years.
They now require a Commercial Director who will be critical to reaching this objective. They will own all aspects of the Commerciality of the business, covering Sales, Marketing, & Community Teams. This translates to ownership of the Sales Number, Total Customer Number, New Customer Revenue Number, Customer Number, Cost of Acquisition, PR, Awareness, and Sales & Marketing Headcount.
All aspects of the Commerciality of the business, covering Sales, Marketing, & Community Teams.
Sales Number, Total Customer Number, New Customer Revenue Number, Customer Number, Cost of Acquisition, PR, Awareness, Sales & Marketing Headcount.
Currently circa 30 people, across Field Sales, Telesales, Community Management & Marketing. This will grow to nearly 80 people, with an aim to have a larger percentage of the team within Telesales.
Dimensions of the Role:
• Design, build and hire for an A-player commercial organisation to deliver the commercial success of the Kenyan business for the next 3 years delivering to customers across Kenya
• Triple number of new broadband customers within 12 months
• Plan and build the organisation to deliver 10x growth in customer numbers within 24 months
• Deliver an overall Sales & Marketing Cost of Acquisition at an agreed budget per Customer
• Develop a Sales & Marketing function at scale with the most effective balance of insource and outsource partners
• Develop the company’s Brand & Marketing capability to support other departments (e.g. Aligning with HR to enhance the EVP and Employer of choice proposition)
• Develop a strategy of moving from push to pull marketing driving lower cost of acquisition and greater brand demand and awareness to reduce the cost of launching new networks
• Shift Poa from physical to digital, driving a change in channel split from primarily Field-based to more Inbound Telesales and Online
• Must have built, managed, and grown a consumer Sales & Marketing function in a subscription service industry, ideally within low income communities across Kenya
• Must have had full budgetary responsibility and directly owned a company-wide Revenue number, Sales number, and a Cost of Acquisition number, as well as owned all planning, forecasting, and go to market strategy
• Must have built and supported a rapid large-scale growth organisation including countries in East Africa
• Must have operated in a business with similar Values and DNA to Poa to ensure cultural alignment
• Must have worked with multicultural leadership/investment groups
• Ideally, has worked in a founder-led business and been part of its transition from start-up to scale-up
• Ideally has held a senior Commercial role in a big company
To apply for this role, please ensure that you have the following skills and experience:
• Able to build High performing commercial & creative teams that can collaborate and work together. Driver of collaborative performance for both insource and outsource partnerships
• Has delivered demonstrable 10x commercial growth during tenure while maintaining competitive cost of acquisition targets
• Has built a Commercial function from an early stage in company life with little defined and structured, into a large-scale operation supporting hundreds, if not thousands of people
• Demonstrable experience to design, implement and coordinate a national multi-channel acquisition strategy including direct, indirect, inbound, outbound and digital marketing channels
• Revised creative brand, tone of voice, message, proposition to maximise success
• Worked with insource and outsource partners, build exciting commercial relationship structures and minimised CoA through delivering these partnerships
• Build and operate a rolling Sales & Marketing campaign calendar, measure and tweak to maximise commercial success over a number of years
• Strong collaborative interaction across multiple parts of business, especially around customer experience, capacity planning, forecasting
• Has ideally built a commercial function beyond Kenya. Must have worked with multi-cultural leadership and understands the dynamics associated with introducing more cultures and geographies
• Has built systemised structure and accountability with total documentation and paper trails for all commercial related aspects of the business, providing clarity to employees, management, legal and investors
• Experience of operating at a senior level in a consumer technology service industry
Since 2007 Millar Cameron has specialised in sourcing leadership and keyperson talent across a number of industries, including agribusiness, international development, industrial, consumer, financial and professional services, private equity, and technology, media and telecommunications. Our mission and purpose is to positively contribute to the development of Africa, and other emerging markets, through the provision of people.