MEDA (Mennonite Economic Development Associates) is an international non-profit organization founded in 1953. Its mission is to fight poverty for sustainable development through solutions based on entrepreneurship and the improvement of sustainable livelihoods for women, young women, and men.
About the role
START DATE: February 1-2024, Fixed-term contract (CDD) 2 Year
Employment contract for this position is dependent on final approval from the donor, and a tentative start date of February 1st 2024. We are recruiting in anticipation of multi-country rice development initiative that will be implemented in Senegal, Ivory Coast and Togo. The main initiative coordination office is based in Senegal.
Reports To: Managing Director, Multi-Country Initiative
Direct Report(s): Administrative Officer
Key dimensions of the role
Compliance - 20%
- Ensure MEDA’s program adheres to the local country laws, including financial reporting, tax, labour and proper registration with all relevant authorities as required.
- Manage the use of project finances in compliance with MEDA policy, GAC requirements and Senegalese law.
Financial Management - 50%
- Work closely with MEDA head office Senior Finance Manager to ensure that financial recordkeeping is accurate and auditable. Submit accurate and timely monthly, quarterly and annual reports.
- Responsible for ensuring that general accounting functions are completed on a timely basis, including payroll, accounts payables paid within terms and accounts receivable actively managed.
- Maintain multi-currency accounting systems, general ledgers, sub-ledgers and job costing systems as required.
- Complete month-end closing and journal entry preparation and bank reconciliations.
- Maintain detailed and accurate records for all financial transactions in an organized and professional manner.
- Review all proposed budgets submitted by partners to ensure reasonability and allowability of the proposed use of funds.
- Oversee the management of grants to local partners. This includes assessing financial management capacity of each local partner, and providing recommendations for training to ensure that each partner has systems in place that will allow them to manage the project funds granted to them.
- Provide support project procurement activities.
Planning - 10%
- Provide support to project annual budget planning and forecasting.
- Facilitate detailed project activity budgeting.
Team Management - 10%
- Directly supervise the work of the Administrative Officer and other positions that may be required for the Finance Department.
Other support to project Senior Management Team - 10%
- Provide support to the Managing Director in overall project management tasks, such as coordination meetings, report writing, annual activity planning, participation on relevant conferences and forums.
- Provide other support to the Managing Director on any other project management aspect as required.
- Liaise on financial management with implementing partners, through the occasional travel in-country and/or within the region (Africa).
Employment requirements for all staff at MEDA
Organizational Policies and Procedures
- Ensure and adhere to all MEDA management policies : financial, legal, human resources, security, and others as required.
- Prepare internal reports and other quarterly planning documents as required.
- Complete and participate in all MEDA trainings as required.
- Appreciation, understanding and commitment to MEDA's mission: creating business solutions to poverty.
- Demonstrate MEDA's core performance values: collaboration, respect, entrepreneurship and responsibility.
Image and Commitment
- Adherence to and demonstration of the image of MEDA, according to the values of MEDA.
- Compliance with the brand strategy approved by the Board of Directors.
- Promote MEDA through speeches, media appearances and the MEDA convention, as required.
- Performance of staff management and leadership functions as applicable according to MEDA policies, procedures, and values.
- Contribute to a healthy culture and work environment for staff team.
Skills and Experience
- Master of Arts or Science in Finance, Accounting or Administration with 1 plus years of Managerial and 4 plus years of Supervisory experiences.
- Experience with financial management in compliance with requirements of major donors.
- Experience with multiple sub-grant relationships is an asset.
- Interpersonal skills: building collaborative relationships with colleagues and partners, active listening, practicing empathy with colleagues, clients, and partners, exhibiting leadership qualities, and motivating others.
- Communication skills: active listening, articulated and persuasive internal and external communication on project activities and financial matters, good writing skills.
- Negotiation skills: practicing patience, persuasion, adaptability and rigorous planning and integrity interactions with colleagues, clients, and partners.
- Fluency in French is required, and English is a plus.
- Understanding and appreciation of business principles, international development and MEDA’s approach of creating business solutions to poverty.
- Occasional travel can be expected, within Senegal and/or the region (Africa).
This job description may be reviewed, revised and updated as required to meet department and/or organizational objectives.
MEDA is an equal opportunity employer and accommodations are available during all phases of the recruitment process. We ask that any applicants requiring accommodation make their needs known in advance.
Don’t meet every single requirement? Studies have shown that women and people of colour are less likely to apply for jobs unless they meet every single qualification. At Millar Cameron, we are dedicated to supporting our Clients in building and supporting diverse and inclusive workplaces and culture, so if you’re excited about this role but your past experience doesn’t align perfectly with every qualification in the job description, we encourage you to apply anyway. You may be just the right candidate for this or other roles.
Since 2007 Millar Cameron has specialised in sourcing leadership and keyperson talent across a number of industries, including agribusiness, international development, industrial, consumer, financial and professional services, private equity, and technology, media and telecommunications. Our mission and purpose is to positively contribute to the development of Africa, and other emerging markets, through the provision of people.