AERC, established in 1988, was founded from the need to bridge the gap between economic policy and research in sub-Saharan Africa. This organization has since grown into a prominent institution, seamlessly amalgamating top-tier economic research, postgraduate training, and effective policy outreach.
About the role
AERC seeks a visionary Executive Director to lead efforts to achieve AERC's mission, drive strategic development, lead strategic fundraising and meet annual objectives, while supporting the Board. The Executive Director has overall responsibility for implementing strategic goals, resource management and compliance. They also oversee program implementation, ensures effective communication of results, maintain a positive organizational profile and oversee financial management in a manner that promotes a culture of value-for-money culture.
Key dimensions of the role
Based in Kenya, the Executive Director’s responsibilities will include, but not be limited to:
Direction of the Consortium’s Overall Operations and Governance:
- Support governance bodies and work closely with their chairs for effective governance.
- Lead mission pursuit, develop strategic plans, and establish program objectives.
- Monitor progress and oversee evaluations in agreement with the Board and Programme Committee.
- Manage the Secretariat, ensure legal compliance, and implement the approved annual Program of Work and Budget.
- Develop funding strategies, raise funds, maintain effective communication with network members, and establish strategic partnerships.
- Coordinate the preparation of annual Programs of Work for Board approval.
- Facilitate wide distribution of annual AERC activity reports.
- Approve grants and awards within procedures.
- Administer grants appropriately and initiate studies or consultancies as needed.
- Recommend candidates for appointments and facilitate Programme Committee meetings.
Financial Management and Administration:
- Oversee the preparation of the annual Program of Work and Budget for Board approval.
- Monitor revenue and expenditures, reporting adjustments.
- Serve as the principal authorizing officer for funds disbursement.
- Enforce adherence to financial controls and "value for money" principles.
Skills and experience
The desired candidate will have but not limited to:
- PhD in Economics with extensive Sub-Saharan African research, management, and teaching experience.
- At least 15 years relevant experience, which includes at least 5 years’ experience working in Sub- Saharan Africa and 5 years leading a comparable institution.
- In-depth understanding of African policy issues, along with expertise in resource mobilization, international collaboration, and engagement with senior decision-makers.
- Strong leadership and management, including presentation and negotiation skills.
- Proficiency in enhancing AERC's global institutional profile, exceptional networking, communication, and interpersonal abilities.
- Proficient in corporate governance, adept at working under pressure, and highly willing to travel.
- Excellent written and spoken English. Ability to work in French an asset.
Don’t meet every single requirement? Studies have shown that women and people of colour are less likely to apply for jobs unless they meet every single qualification. At Millar Cameron, we are dedicated to supporting our Clients in building and supporting diverse and inclusive workplaces and culture, so if you’re excited about this role but your past experience doesn’t align perfectly with every qualification in the job description, we encourage you to apply anyway. You may be just the right candidate for this or other roles.
Since 2007 Millar Cameron has specialised in sourcing leadership and keyperson talent across a number of industries, including agribusiness, international development, industrial, consumer, financial and professional services, private equity, and technology, media and telecommunications. Our mission and purpose is to positively contribute to the development of Africa, and other emerging markets, through the provision of people.