Gridworks is a leading international investor focused on increasing access to energy for underserved communities in Africa. The organisation originates, develops and then invests in substantial infrastructure projects with a particular emphasis on off-grid, C&I and transmission infrastructure.
About the role
To support the further development of projects within its transmission pipeline, Gridworks is recruiting three experienced Project Development Directors. They will be hired to join the Special Purpose Vehicles being set up by Gridworks to complete the development of each project and will be responsible for project managing the successful delivery of an investment, through Financial Close, into construction and, eventually, into operation.
Key dimensions of the role
- Stakeholder Engagement: Build and maintain relationships with government agencies, regulatory bodies, local communities, and potential partners to ensure successful project development.
- Project Planning: Lead the development of a detailed project plan, including project scope, budget, and timeline including during construction and commissioning. Ensure alignment with Gridworks and other shareholders’ strategic objectives.
- Permitting and Regulatory Compliance: Manage the permitting process, environmental clearances, and ensure compliance with local and international regulations and standards.
- Contract Negotiation: Oversee contract negotiations with EPC contractors, suppliers, and other relevant stakeholders to ensure cost-effectiveness and risk mitigation.
- Risk Management: Identify, assess, and mitigate project risks and develop strategies to manage unexpected challenges.
- Project Team Leadership: Build and lead a high-performing project development team, providing clear direction, mentorship, and motivation to achieve project milestones.
- Reporting: Regularly report project status and key performance indicators to the executive team and external stakeholders.
Skills and experience
Candidates will be seasoned project developers with well-honed project and people management skills, ideally gained in large scale, complex infrastructure projects in East Africa. They will bring power transmission or generation, rail, road or gas pipeline development experience and will be highly practiced in managing the various workstreams and stakeholders associated with such initiatives.
Specifically, they will demonstrate the following skills, experience and personality:
- A minimum of 15 years of experience in energy, or other ‘linear asset’, business development or project development with a track record of successfully commissioning projects into operations.
- Demonstrable experience spanning all the necessary workstreams – financing, regulatory, environmental, legal, contracting, construction, commissioning etc.
- Proven experience in establishing and managing constructive relationships with government, local authorities and community groups, EPC contractors, advisors and other stakeholders associated with the project.
- Experience of working with consultants on issues such as Resettlement Action Plans and Social Assessments.
- Strong project management, leadership, negotiation, and communication skills with the drive, determination, and tenacity to move the project forward to successful completion.
- Ability to work collaboratively, proactively, and effectively in a multicultural and multidisciplinary team. Comfortable operating in Africa supported by Gridworks’ London-based resources.
- High levels of emotional intelligence and empathy whilst maintaining a focus on project delivery.
Don’t meet every single requirement? Studies have shown that women and people of colour are less likely to apply for jobs unless they meet every single qualification. At Millar Cameron, we are dedicated to supporting our Clients in building and supporting diverse and inclusive workplaces and culture, so if you’re excited about this role but your past experience doesn’t align perfectly with every qualification in the job description, we encourage you to apply anyway. You may be just the right candidate for this or other roles.
Since 2007 Millar Cameron has specialised in sourcing leadership and keyperson talent across a number of industries, including agribusiness, international development, industrial, consumer, financial and professional services, private equity, and technology, media and telecommunications. Our mission and purpose is to positively contribute to the development of Africa, and other emerging markets, through the provision of people.