Millar Cameron is working with Seed Global Health (Seed) to recruit a Director of Finance. Seed is a non-profit organization that focuses on strengthening the education, practice, and policy of the local professional health workforce in Africa. Its mission is to educate a rising generation of health professionals to strengthen access to quality care to save lives and improve health. Seed is dedicated to creating lasting change in the health systems of their partner countries: Malawi, Sierra Leone, Uganda, and Zambia. Seed is unique in its approach by focusing on educating and training doctors, nurses, and midwives who offer support across the health system from frontline health workers’ referrals for definitive care to resilience and responsiveness to diverse health challenges to training future generations.
About the role
The Director of Finance (DF) will be accountable for planning, management, and guiding of Seed’s financial operations at Seed’s financial headquarters in the United States, as well as our operations in Malawi, Sierra Leone, Uganda, and Zambia.
Key dimensions of the role
Based in any of their Seed offices globally and Reporting to the Managing Director, Finance and Administration, the Director of Finance responsibilities will include, but not limited to:
- Oversee Seed's accounting and audit processes, ensuring adherence to accounting standards across its international operations, while conducting comprehensive reviews of monthly financial statements and overseeing annual audits for Seed's entities in the US, Malawi, Sierra Leone, Uganda, and Zambia.
- Ensure Seed’s compliance with US tax regulations, oversee the management of other Seed countries’ tax compliance, and oversee the completion of worker compensation audits.
- Oversee implementation, maintenance, and management of financial systems, including Sparkrock 365 (a non-profit customization of Microsoft Dynamics), PowerBi, Stripe, and integrations with other Seed software, and lead the implementation of future financial system upgrades.
- Perform financial planning for Seed, creating tools and models for the next five-year strategy, while also supporting the development of Seed's treasury strategy, encompassing banking system upgrades, short- and long-term investment strategies, and the management of current and prospective banking relationships.
- Supervise global finance team and liaise with country directors to ensure adequate financial capacity in each country.
Skills and Experience
The desired candidate will have but not limited to:
- Ten or more years of experience leading non-profit financial operations.
- Minimum of a B.A. in business, finance, accounting, or related and CPA or related advanced degree preferred.
- Prior experience in US non-profit, fund, and grant accounting as well as experience leading financial systems changes and improvements.
- Prior experience having final responsibility for the quality and content of all financial data, reporting, and audit coordination.
- Advanced proficiency with Microsoft Dynamics, Sparkrock365, or similar software and experience with PowerBI preferred.
- Ability to translate financial concepts to and effectively collaborate with non- finance colleagues.
For more information, please download the candidate pack.
Don’t meet every single requirement? Studies have shown that women and people of colour are less likely to apply for jobs unless they meet every single qualification. At Millar Cameron, we are dedicated to supporting our Clients in building and supporting diverse and inclusive workplaces and culture, so if you’re excited about this role but your past experience doesn’t align perfectly with every qualification in the job description, we encourage you to apply anyway. You may be just the right candidate for this or other roles.
Since 2007 Millar Cameron has specialised in sourcing leadership and keyperson talent across a number of industries, including agribusiness, international development, industrial, consumer, financial and professional services, private equity, and technology, media and telecommunications. Our mission and purpose is to positively contribute to the development of Africa, and other emerging markets, through the provision of people.