MEDA (Mennonite Economic Development Associates) is an international non-profit organization founded in 1953. Its mission is to fight poverty for sustainable development through solutions based on entrepreneurship and the improvement of sustainable livelihoods for women, young women, and men.
About the role
START DATE: February 1-2024 Fixed-term contract (CDD) 2 Year
Employment contract for this position is dependent on final approval from the donor, and a tentative start date of February 1st 2024. We are recruiting in anticipation of multi-country rice development initiative that will be implemented in Senegal, Ivory Coast and Togo. The main initiative coordination office is based in Senegal.
Reports To: Sr. Regional Director, WAMENA
Direct Reports: Finance Manager, IKM Manager, Agricultural Engineers (3)
Key dimensions of the role
Project / Staff Management and Leadership - 65%
- Lead project team with full accountability for results.
- Prepare and/or review and approve annual workplans and budgets, track and manage performance against targets, actively manage variances, and identify areas for improvement or adaptation.
- Ensure implementation adheres to donor contractual requirements, MEDA’s strategic objectives, and MEDA’s policy and procedures.
- Ensure timely preparation, review and submission of financial and narrative reports.
- Provide oversight to project finance systems and processes including the review and authorization of transactions, observing strong financial controls, and minimizing exposure to risk.
- Ensure effective and efficient management of project’s planning, monitoring, evaluation, performance and reporting requirements and timelines.
- Manage client, subcontractor and direct/indirect partner relationships.
- Lead and manage the performance of staff ensuring acquisition, retention and development of a strong team.
- Communicate the overall objectives of the long-term program so that each staff member aligns her/his work accordingly.
- Communicate with Program Management, Technical Advisory, People & Culture, Finance and Legal colleagues outside of the direct team; to achieve desired collaboration and ensure effective project implementation.
Representation & Compliance - 15%
- Act as MEDA representative for project operational aspects in collaboration with consortium members.
- Ensure project operations are compliant with the project governance articles and with local laws and technical standards/certifications.
Operational partnerships - 20%
- Raise MEDA’s profile in the consortium, value chain and contribute to the positioning of MEDA as a leader in building transformative agri-food market systems that create decent work among development stakeholders, including public, private, civil society and INGO actors.
- Identify and foster partnerships with agri-food market actors to co-create long-term impact-focused initiatives that align with MEDA’s overall strategy and with the development aims of the project countries.
Employment requirements for all staff at MEDA
Organizational Policies and Procedures
- Ensure and adhere to all MEDA management policies : financial, legal, human resources, security, and others as required.
- Prepare internal reports and other quarterly planning documents as required.
- Complete and participate in all MEDA trainings as required.
- Appreciation, understanding and commitment to MEDA's mission: creating business solutions to poverty.
- Demonstrate MEDA's core performance values: collaboration, respect, entrepreneurship and responsibility.
Image and Commitment
- Adherence to and demonstration of the image of MEDA, according to the values of MEDA.
- Compliance with the brand strategy approved by the Board of Directors.
- Promote MEDA through speeches, media appearances and the MEDA convention, as required.
- Performance of staff management and leadership functions as applicable according to MEDA policies, procedures, and values.
- Contribute to a healthy culture and work environment for staff team.
- Masters’ level qualification combined with work experience leading project at multi-country implementation/operations scope.
- Discipline / Specialization - Business Administration, Agroeconomics, Agricultural science, international development studies, Geography, or equivalent.
Skills and Experience
- Official development project management experience in leadership capacity.
- Experience in professional and tactful communications, persuasion and influencing host country ministries, government officials and high-profile partners while upholding optimal collaboration with MEDA’s key stakeholders.
- Multi-stakeholder platform/initiative coordination skills.
- Communication skills: facilitate sharing of the initiative updates with key stakeholders and host country government officials and demonstrating its alignment with country priorities and development goals, ensuring professional oral and written communication with donor, consortium members and clients.
- Experience in managing agrifood systems projects.
- Fluency in French is required, and English is a plus.
- 4 to 6 years of supervisory and 7 to 9 years of managerial experience.
- Understanding and appreciation of business principles, international development and MEDA’s approach of creating business solutions to poverty.
- Experience with multiple sub-grant relationships.
- Some travel for work is to be expected, mostly within Senegal and/or the region (Africa).
This job description may be reviewed, revised and updated as required to meet department and/or organizational objectives.
MEDA is an equal opportunity employer and accommodations are available during all phases of the recruitment process. We ask that any applicants requiring accommodation make their needs known in advance.
Don’t meet every single requirement? Studies have shown that women and people of colour are less likely to apply for jobs unless they meet every single qualification. At Millar Cameron, we are dedicated to supporting our Clients in building and supporting diverse and inclusive workplaces and culture, so if you’re excited about this role but your past experience doesn’t align perfectly with every qualification in the job description, we encourage you to apply anyway. You may be just the right candidate for this or other roles.
Since 2007 Millar Cameron has specialised in sourcing leadership and keyperson talent across a number of industries, including agribusiness, international development, industrial, consumer, financial and professional services, private equity, and technology, media and telecommunications. Our mission and purpose is to positively contribute to the development of Africa, and other emerging markets, through the provision of people.